Unit 4 Activities: Family
|Book:||Unit 4 Activities: Family|
|Printed by:||Guest user|
|Date:||Sunday, 20 September 2020, 11:20 PM|
1. Unit 4 Activities
Attached are activities for Unit 4. These include an animal vocabulary worksheet and letter practice using vocabulary from past and present units.Note: All the activities are suggestions. We suggest you spend a few minutes at the beginning and end of each session to ease into the activities. Make any adjustments and vary the Opening and Closing, if needed, to fit the levels of your students.
2. Begin Your Lesson
Opening: Write the day and date on board. We suggest you start the session with a song or video (see below). Instructor and students greet each other. Engage in a conversation with the students about some of these familiar topics.
· Instructor says: “Good morning/afternoon, students!”
o Students say: Good …!
· Instructor says: “It’s nice to see you again.”
o Students say: I'm glad to see you too. (Explain that glad means happy.)
· Instructor says: “Welcome to our lesson.”
· Instructor says: “My name is “…” “What’s your name?”
· Student says: “My name is “…” That student turns to next student and asks, “What’s your name?” The next student says… “My name is…” (Continue speaking and practicing names with each student in the group.)
· Instructor asks: “How are you? What’s new?”
- Student says: I'm good/ I'm fine/ I'm all right
· Instructor asks: “How is your day?” Student says: It is good. / My day was great/fine.
· Instructor asks: What time is it?
- Song for young kids with body movements:
· Instructor asks: “What day is today? What day was yesterday? What day will it be tomorrow?”
- Early Elementary
· Instructor asks: “What season are we in now?”
· Instructor asks: “What is the month?” Practice saying today is “…….” with students. Elementary and Young Juniors
· Instructor asks: “How’s the weather?” Early Elementary song:
o Students practice saying: It is cloudy/ it's rainy/ it's hot/ it’s nice/ sunny/ windy / cold / foggy…
· Instructor asks: “Are you ready to start our activities today?”
- Students: “Yes!!”
Need help calming your students down? Try this: How to Calm Young Children Down in Minutes – Palming technique – Early Elementary (grades 1-4) Video:
3. Songs: Family
This video introduces family members. Also explain to them what a pumpkin (pronounced "dlat" in Hebrew) is.
More videos describing family members.
4. Family and Feelings Listening Activity
Listen to the teacher and draw facial expressions on each family member.
הקשיבו למורה וציירו הבעות פנים למשפחה על פי ההוראות.
5. Name the Room Worksheet
Write the name of the room below each picture.
כיתבו את שם החדר באנגלית מתחת לכל תמונה.
6. Rooms Matching Worksheet
Draw a line between the items and the rooms to which they belong.
מתחו קו בין החפצים לחדרים שאליהם הם שייכים.
7. Make the Room Activity
Instructions for teacher:
1. Review the vocabulary.
2. Ask the students to cut out the items on the following pages and then place them in the correct room (see example page).
3. You can also ask your students describe each room and talk about the items they put in each room. For example:
“There is a/are … in the …” – There is a chair in the kitchen.
“The … is/are in the …” – The chair is in the kitchen.
(OR for advanced students: “I put the … in the … because …” - I put the bed in the bedroom because this is where we sleep.)
8. Extra Links and Activities
9. Finish Your Lesson
Closing: After each session before you say goodbye, ask students to reflect on the lesson.
· Instructor asks: What is one thing you liked about the lesson?
· Ask each student to tell you 3 new English words they learned today.
o Repeat the new words after the student says them. Then, repeat the new words with the student again so he/she practices and learns the correct pronunciation.
· Ask: What is one question you still have about what you learned today?
Say goodbye to the students. Tell them you are looking forward to seeing them next time… Instructor says: Have a good day/afternoon… See you next time…