Icarus and Daedalus
3. Discuss: Icarus and Daedalus Questions
Discuss the following questions with the students after viewing the video and reading the story aloud.
· What happened to Icarus at the end of the printed story?
(He flew too close to the sun and died.)
· What happened to Icarus at the end of the video?
(Icarus plunged into the sea after the wax on his wings melted. He managed to swim back to the shore. – Icarus and Daedalus were captured again by King Midas.)
· How is the ending different in “The Boy Who Flew Too High” compared to “The Story of Daedalus and Icarus?”
(In the video Icarus did not die.)
· What age group do you think the video was targeting? What age group do you think the written story was aiming for?
(The video was for younger kids, maybe 8-11 years old. The written story was for older kids – maybe 10-13 years and older…)
· Why do you think the producer of the video changed the ending in the story of “The Boy Who Flew Too High”?
(Perhaps the person who made the video didn’t want the younger children exposed to a character dying at the end… didn’t want to upset the kids… (various other opinions okay – the goal is to get your students thinking and speaking…)
· Which ending do you prefer (like better) and why? Discuss your answer with a partner.
· After hearing these stories, what do you think are the lessons to be learned from the myth of Daedalus and Icarus?
(You should always listen to your parents…, various answers… )