Opening and Closing Your Activity/Lesson
2. 3rd/4th Grade
Write the day and date on
board. We suggest you start the session with a song or video. (see below) Fellows
and students greet each other. Engage in a conversation with the students about some of these familiar topics.
· Fellow says: “Good morning/afternoon, students!”
o Students say: Good …!
· Fellow says: “It’s nice to see you again.”
o Students say: I'm glad to see you too. (Explain that glad means happy.)
· Fellow says: “Welcome to our lesson.”
· Fellow says: “My name is “…” “What’s your name?”
· Student says: “My name is “…” That student turns to next student and asks, “What’s your name?” The next student says… “My name is…” (Continue speaking and practicing names with each student in the group.)
· Fellow asks: “How are you? What’s new?”
- Student says: I'm good/ I'm fine/ I'm all right
· Fellow asks: “How is your day?” Student says: It is good. / My day was great/fine.
· Fellow asks: What time is it?
- Song for young kids with body movements:
· Fellow asks: “What day is today? What day was yesterday? What day will it be tomorrow?”
- Early Elementary
· Fellow asks: “What season are we in now?”
· Fellow asks: “What is the month?” Practice saying today is “…….” with students. Elementary and Young Juniors
· Fellow asks: “How’s the weather?” Early Elementary song:
o Students practice saying: It is cloudy/ it's rainy/ it's hot/ it’s nice/ sunny/ windy / cold / foggy…
· Fellow asks: “Are you ready to start our activities today?”
- Students: “Yes!!”
Need help calming your students down? Try this: How to Calm Young Children Down in Minutes – Palming technique – Early Elementary (grades 1-4) Video:
Closing: After each session before you say goodbye, ask students to reflect on the lesson.
· Fellow asks: What is one thing you liked about the lesson?
· Ask each student to tell you 3 new English words they learned today.
o Repeat the new words after the student says them. Then, repeat the new words with the student again so he/she practices and learns the correct pronunciation.
· Ask: What is one question you still have about what you learned today?
Say goodbye to the students. Tell them you are looking forward to seeing them next time… Fellow says: Have a good day/afternoon… See you next time…